Knowledge of French cooking has contributed significantly to Western cuisines and its criteria are used widely in Western cookery school boards and culinary education. In November 2010, French gastronomy was added by the UNESCO to its lists of the world's "intangible cultural heritage".
What is foie gras ?
Gascon cuisine has also had great influence over the cuisine in the southwest of France. Many dishes that were once regional have proliferated in variations across the country.
Foie gras is a popular and well-known delicacy in French cuisine. Its flavor is described as rich, buttery, and delicate. Essentially made from goose or duck fat, this is one of the symbols of French cuisine around the world.
This authentic product from the region is usually enjoyed as a starter with brioche bread, and sometimes with fresh figs, and is often accompanied with a sweet wine like Sauternes, Monbazillac, or Jurançon.
The soft and smooth Foie Gras d’Oie (made with goose), the more prominently tasting Foie de Canard (made with duck). It is made according to a traditional method, already practiced by the Egyptians, which consists in feeding these animals very regularly with crushed corn grains. This gives incredible taste to their meat, and more specifically, to their liver.
Be careful to low quality products
There are hundreds of brands, dozens of producers and only a few offer good quality. A good foie gras entire should include simply a whole liver, salt and pepper. Avoid products which include artificial flavourings, alcohol
The very best of French food – abroad!
At Foie Gras Gourmet we have made six commitments to quality:
- Our foies gras have been selected independently
- Our blind tasting panels select from a range of the best French foies gras and are comprised of amateurs, foie gras connoisseurs and restaurateurs.
- All our foie gras carries the South-West France or Perigord PGI (Protected Geographical Indication) label, the Oie du Perigord mark or the Label Rouge.
- The foie gras we offer is produced by family businesses or co-operatives which remain close to their origins and take their time to produce high quality products using know-how handed down to them.
- We offer free delivery to over 100 different countries.
- Our prices are competitive and are inclusive of shipping costs and taxes.
Wherever or whenever you choose to serve them, our delicious foies gras will make your occasion extra special.